The Orders table is a great place to track revenue for your site. On the left sidebar of the admin dashboard, you’ll find the ability to track your sales and subscriptions under the heading Orders. Here, you can see all of the sales that were made on your site and it includes all the information about the purchaser including referral source.
You can easily see new revenue based on the date that payment was made by the student, including seeing payments made for recurring subscriptions or payment plans.
Using the Orders Table
Here's some tips on how to easily view your data on the Orders table:
- Use the date picker in the top right corner to filter for payments made during a specific time period. Note: transactions displayed in Thinkific are in UTC time zone.
- Click on a heading to sort by that column in ascending or descending order.
- Use the Columns button to hide additional columns from view in the table
- Use the full screen button in the top right corner to view more.
Understanding your Orders and Transactions
The Orders table displays individual line items for each transaction that's attempted by students purchasing products on your site. For payment plans and subscriptions, you will see a new transaction listed in the Orders table each time a payment comes through from that student, including any payment attempts that failed.
The order displayed refers to a purchase the student made for a specific course or bundle. A transaction is the actual payment that was made, for a specific order. Payment Plans and Subscriptions can have multiple transactions listed under the same order.
For example, in the report below you can see that the recurring monthly payments associated with the same order number. The total revenue increases as a new monthly payment is made for the order.
To help you understand more about each transaction, the following information is included:
- Date: when the transaction took place.
- Order: the specific purchase that a student made. Subscriptions and payment plan transactions are all linked to the same order.
- Amount: the value of the transaction on that specific date.
- Status: if a payment is successful, it's marked as complete; if it's unsuccessful, it's marked as failed.
- Total revenue: the total sales made on that order to date. For subscriptions and payment plans, this value will increase as new payments are made towards that order.
- Type: either a one time, subscription, payment plan purchase or refund.
- Product: the name of the course or bundle the student purchased.
- Name: the student's name.
- Email: the student's email.
- Payment method: how the student paid; either by credit card (Stripe) or Paypal.
- Referrer: if available, displays the name of the affiliate who referred the student.
Exporting your purchase history
If you would like to export that data to use for your marketing or customer service, you can do so by clicking the Export button to get a CSV file emailed to you. CSV (comma separated values) is a universal file type that can be opened by any spreadsheet program, such as Excel, or Google Sheets.
If you have applied any search filters or a date range, or modified the visible columns on your orders table, you can use the Export View option to receive the CSV file for just that data. Otherwise, if you choose the All Fields option, this will generate the CSV of all your Orders Report data.
Note: if you notice that your Orders report export looks different, we have updated how our exports work! The legacy export is still available as the "All Fields" option and will pull all data in the same format as previous exports.
To view a single order in Thinkific, select the hyperlinked date next to the order you'd like to view in your report. On the following page, you'll see details from the order: